Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 1, Fried Bread


I must admit, when i first opened my new cook book today (smiling at all the pretty birds and colorful swirls on the pages) my goal was simple: Find an EASY recipe. At least something i recognized, right?

It's amazing how much anxiety one can have by simply flipping the pages of a book. I saw meals listed in there that i had no clue how to pronounce or whether it was suppose to be a soup or steak or casserole?? To make it worse, my best friend was on the line with me and was trying her best to interpret everything for me. I say 'worse' because it confirmed what i had already dreaded. i really don't know anything about cooking. Not really.So, i kept flipping. Finally I saw something familiar.

Indian Fried Bread!

I had this growing up all the time. I use to watch my mom make the scones, and i use to beg her to have them again and again. That was the one! I sure wasn't about to risk james' very first impression of my full-on cooking with something i didn't even recognize.

There was only one problem. There was no recipe included for the actual scone bread! ?!?!?!? I mean, what kind of cookbook offers a meal without the full directions? I was rather irritated. The cute birds and flowers had failed me on the first go!

Well, my friend on the line had a recepi and sent it over. But it wasn't dummy-proof. It left a lot of work up to experience. Like, I had to KNOW what balled doe looked like and how it different with stiff doe... no exact times on setting, chilling, raising, ect. (I warned you that i didn't know how to cook!)

So, i went to my next best friend. Google. Jackpot. Found a recipe with only two steps! Mix it all together and shove it in the fridge. I can do that!

3 C Flour
1 tbs Baking Powder (which gave me a heck of a time trying to find it in the kitchen)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c Warm water.

Easy peasy. Link to printable Recipe Card

While it was chilling, i went to work cutting and getting all the toppings for it. That part was a snap for me, since I had it all the time growing up. I readied some beans, turkey bits (as james cooked one for me yesterday), dark green lettuce, tomatoes from the garden, green-beans (james tends to like those more than me), cheese, and almond slices.

Frying the bread proved easier than i feared. An inch of oil in the bottom of the pan and put on med-high. I flattened balls of doe and pocked a hole in the middle of them (according to the directions) and fried them up. Not too hard at all. :)

And, the best part? They actually tasted really good! Totally a keeper. James came home and his eyes got a little big at the table set-out. He ate two, sprinkled cin-sugar on a 3rd and took it with him to class.

It was a lot of fun! As a matter of fact, i decided to start my own cook book of recipes gone good :) We will definitely have this one again.

Day one accomplished.
Anxiety attack during preparation? Pretty high. LOL


.

1 comment:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Cheering you on ... you can do it!